Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Azucar - Final Portrait is Done!


Yipee!! Final Azucar portrait is done and I am so happy with the results. there is TONS of detail in this one and I carefully worked the texture and layers of colors throughout. I'm really happy with the way that the flowers, the stuffed animals, and the sky, and the banner, Azucar himself...and, well, the way the entire piece came out. Azucar's fur color is very layered and rich tonally, and has some paint texture in there too. The bottom quilt section was modelled after Azucar's own quilt given to him by his Grandmother. The quilt has actual photos of Azucar printed onto the fabric and it is a delightful keepsake quilt. I think I captured the spirit of the quilt very well in the bottom quilt portion of the portrait. The two stuffed animals to the right are two of Azucar's favorites, and I think they came out just great, with the paintbrush dappling effect adding a lot of fur dimension with texture and light. The top banner is an homage to Cuba's flag, and I think I have managed to give it the Cuban flavor without it being overwjelmingly "flaggy" looking. It's undoubtedly based on the flag of Cuba, yet it also maintains the overall aesthetic of my signature style. Something else I love is the 'color aura' around generally the whole piece, which I love to do in many of my paintings and I think here it is particularly successfully executed. Enjoy! and check out more detailed shots here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

THis is lovely!! Kathy, thank you very much for buying my book. Glad you like it. If it's not too much trouble, do you mind to vote for my book at the site?
http://www.lulu.com/content/577396

It's a self publish book, so customers' word of mouth would help to support the sale. You don't have to do it or if you are busy ... Figure no harm to ask. :)

Anonymous said...

you ROCK! I just sent you an email, and I'm nervous to hear how long the waiting list is...

Anonymous said...

This is just adorable, Kathy...I love your work!

Anonymous said...

It's really quit wonderful! You did an excellent job!

Anonymous said...

I have never seen such sweet animal portraiture. It is so much fun and has such spirit to it! I can tell you enjoy creating it. Very beuatiful! I can't wait to see what you do next!

Anonymous said...

I love this one. Nice colors. It is amazing how closely you work with each person, getting so much personal detail in each piece. When I first started reading your blog posts about your artwork my jaw dropped at how much unique attention each piece has. You have a style, but not a formula, you have tricks up your sleeve, but you are no "one trick pony".

Anonymous said...

Kathy,
Very cute new portrait.
I really love what you do, and the detail is just amazing.
I am ashamed that I don't check your blog out more often. I will make a point to!
I love you!
Nancy <3