Thursday, August 09, 2007

The Months - February - Outtake #1


Here is the February "outtake #1" final art. Hope you enjoy!!

The actual spread that we ended up using has same characters (save for one), but features a whole new "active outdoors" setting. In terms of the color palette and the action shown, I think choosing the new one over this one was the right move for the book. The palette in this one is more neutral, despite the bright spots of color that the kids provide!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Pushing my palette has been a big thing for me this year. My work, on the whole, is much brighter and more saturated now than it was just six months ago. In children's art, all the buzz is color: saturation, depth of color, bright color. I caught on pretty quickly that I had to find a way to amend my style to add more depth and saturation to my palette. I've always considered my color sense to be somewhat sophisticated, but I've also typically been pretty economical with my saturation level overall, usually preferring a softer, more delicate look.

This year, I put on the hard hat to really find my 'voice' with this - I've been breaking out much more in terms of depth and saturation, finding additional notes to sing, to add to the notes I already know by heart.

No comments: