Saturday, June 21, 2008

Pulse Check

Audio CD

Kathy Griffin - For Your Consideration
- You either love her or you hate her. I hope I'm not alienating anyone, but, caution to the wind! Love her. She kills me. And as much as I loved her mentor, 80's era Joan Rivers, contemporary Kathy's funnier. I hear a torch being passed!







Cards

Cartolina Cards
There is a bazillion independent card companies out there, and it's a joy to experience each one's own individual aesthetic, but, let's face it, one of the reasons there are so many because there are a lot of very different aesthetics to cover, and one size does not fit all.

This company's cards really turned my head with the unique color, collage and font combinations. Wow, I love them. You know when you see something, and it really expresses your own aesthetic, but in a much different way than you would express it yourself if you were to design your own card? Many of the cards in this line do that for me.

I'm going to buy some of these to use myself... and, well, truth be told, I'm kind of a card snob. (I think most designers are by default, though. So don't throw tomatoes at me... or, er, shredded paper...or whatnot, in keeping with the theme... )


Book

"The Trial of Colonel Sweeto and other stories"

by Nicolas Gurewitch

Let's just be honest here. I'm not a huge comics person. I've dabbled over the years - -Archie and Richie Rich in my youth, Palookaville, Love and Rockets and someothers in my early 20's. That's pretty much it. But, being married to a veritable lifetime comic book aficionado, I'm hyper-aware of the market by default (if only because, every time I come home, there's new comic books sprawled out on the coffee table. That said, it is nice to have a mate who truly appreciates art in modern culture. :))

Well, today, he picked up this little gem of a country-fried freak show. Instead of coming up with an in-a-nutshell remark myself, the following quote sizes things up pretty good:

(From the back of the book...)

"If Rod Serling had a sense of humor and an illustration degree, this would be his comic strip"


- Tom Brazelton, Theater Hopper

Each strip in the book is only three or four panels long. In this age of the graphic NOVEL (and short attention spans) that's pretty refreshing. Also of note is that the artist/author uses several distinctly different art styles in the work. Sort of perplexing at first, but it's actually very appropriate given the nature of the strip. Very funny. Check it out!


No comments: