Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Art Tip

I was planning to work on a painting last night, and I took a couple snaps to show you what I like to do to safely experiment with different colors on my illustration.
(Please excuse the dark photos)

I take my watercolor ink drawing :

This is just the drawing

And then I place a piece of clear plastic over it and color with markers.

This is the drawing with a clear plastic page over it, with marker.

The colors of my markers are not the same color of the paint I will mix for the paintings, but they give me a very general idea of what I m going for. This is a quick and easy way to get a rough idea of how different colors might work in different segments of your painting.

Changing a color is easy

If you want to see a different color in a spot of the picture, just wipe off the first color with just a tiny bit of water.

Just be careful that the plastic shield is always covering your edges so you don't end up drawing on your watercolor paper or wiping of any excess onto it. (Of course you can always get larger sheets than your art paper too.)

(End of tip :) )

Anyway, I ended up not working on that painting last night, because I found that I needed a little bit of warm up painting-time before going into it. I have not painted in a couple of weeks and a little practice time really does go a long way before going into a piece that is planned out.

So I painted a picture on Yupo paper. I bought this paper a couple of weeks ago and have been dying to try it. (It's 100% polypropylene.) It has a silky smooth finish and I was very curious what kind of textures and smooth gradiated water washes could be produced on this paper.
I did complete a piece with the YUPO paper and I will post it in my next blog post! So stay tuned!


3 comments:

Lisa M Griffin said...

This a a great tip, thanks for sharing it. I will need to grab some plastic and try it out. Typically, if I am concerned with a color palette, I do something similiar but use photoshop to ink in color over a scan.

Kathy Weller said...

Oh, that is a great idea Lisa! Another way to d same thing! Thanks for the tip! :)

jpdmom said...

That is great advice and would help for designing for companies that do not know which color scheme they want. I never thought of that, I just paint and change in photoshop if I need to - or worse, paint it again.