I have completed work on the most recent version of my picture book dummy!
I've taken some photos of it for you so you can see how it came out as well as some of the steps I took in creating it.
In the above photo, I am pasting the cover art paper to a piece of chip board. I glue-stick one side of the chip board, then carefully line up the cover at on it. I then lay a sheet of parchment or wax paper on top of the cover art and I apply pressure to the board from center to edge, using the bone folder. This helps to avoid any air pockets. I prefer to use glue stick, because it is easy to apply and less messy than other forms of glue. It's easier to control for this type of a project. Plus, if you accidentally apply too much, it will not seep through the paper like a liquid glue might. It would probably just squish out the side while I'm bone-foldering.
Here is a photo of three printed copies of the dummy, along with the tools I used to create a nice, solid cover. (The copies of the dummies above are before assembly.)
The "grey matter" above consists of pages which are titles "copyright/dedication page" and "half-title page". They are place holders for where that actual information would go. It's probably not entirely necessary that my dummy have these blank pages but it's good to show that I'm thinking about it.
Here is a copy of one unssembled dummy. I printed it myself on my Epson R1800 printer, using Staples matte brochure/flyer paper (for ink jets).
This paper is a very good option if you prefer to print on both sides of the paper, as I do (instead of printing on only one side of a piece of lighter-weight paper and then pasting them together). The brochure paper is hefty enough to withstand printing on both sides. I don't know the weight of the paper, bit it's 8 mil thick.
I included two pages of finished art in the dummy books -- one finished piece for the cover, one for an interior page. These two color pieces were printed on Epson Enhanced Matte paper and then, in the case of the cover it was pasted to the chip board, in the case of the interior page, it was pasted to another page. So, the color inside page is extra thick since it's two pages pasted together, but the Epson paper is better for color art than the Staples brochure paper.
In this photo, I'm trimming a bit of the paper from the chipboard. The chipboard is slightly smaller than the paper I printed the art on, so I had to do this for every front and back cover.
On the inside of the front and back covers, I pasted a page which says "end papers" to explain what will go there (part of the grey matter").
Here is a copy of the dummy, back from the copy shop. I chose the "Tape" binding option. Earlier I planned to use the "Velo" binding option but I changed my mind. I'm happy with the "Tape" binding. Came out great!
Here is a picture of an inside spread. See how nice the binding came out from this photo. The "Tape" binding leaves the gutter pretty visible.