Saturday, July 18, 2009

Lucky Charms

Oh, you charming kitties!


I recently started making these little hand-painted wood tag-style charm necklaces. (I like to call them "amulets", because it sounds magical!) On one side, the feature little kitties that help you meditate on a certain goal or behavior (which is written out on the other side) . The idea for these grew out my attempts to produce some beautiful, one of a kind, wearable  mini-artworks that not only looked cute but but that also had a more meaningful, and maybe useful, purpose. I love words, quotes, and I love to do lettering too, so making these charming kitty amulets would also be extra engaging for me to make.

Focus


I wasn't even thinking about this when I created the one above, but, strangely, this one seems to echo my wishes for my mom in her stroke recovery. For one thing, she sometimes shuts one of her eyes - like Popeye... and like the kitty here. The second thing is that all the swirlies above the kitty's head could signify the brain injury event of a stroke, and of how a person's brain so cerebrally mixed up after one. And lastly, one of her biggest hurdles she is working through is being able to focus on one task long enough to complete it successfully...  and this is called Focus. Hmmm!




The two above have been adopted (by me)!

6 comments:

artpaw said...

These are so great Kathy, very charming! I have been following your blog on Mom's recovery. I think it is great that you have your sisters to go through all of this with. I hope Dolly will have some success soon with her focus and follow through.

Archie and Melissa said...

oh kathy!
i just love them!
xoxox
melissa

Mai Kemble said...

the round yellow one with the red cat is the cutest!!

Ann Marie DiVecchia said...

Love <3 these!!!!!

Linda O'Neill said...

These are adorable, Kathy. I'm sure you'll sell LOTS of these because they will make people feel good!

Unknown said...

Thank you all so much for the comments. These were really fun to make. They are fun to wear, too. :)