Friday, November 13, 2009

From sketch to final, part 4



I have "inked" the art in Flash. I drew in the middle "huddle" girl, but found that she was not working in the composition. No matter what I tried she was off, but then I tried it without her, and I liked it so much better in every way. I like the idea of having one more girl; I think it's good for the story the picture tells-- three has an even stronger "us vs. them" vibe. But I thought this worked as well-maybe a little subtler, but still successful. Plus, the looks on their faces is very important-expressions say a lot. To that end, for the middle girl, I am aiming for a slightly annoyed, slightly bored, kind of snotty, glazed-over, ***SIGH*** expression. The girl on the left is just completely engrossed in what she's saying.. And of course, for our hero to the right, I am looking for a two-thirds abhorring, one-third wistful expression.

2 comments:

Loni Edwards said...

Hi Kathy! I have never worked with Flash. I do most art stuff in Photoshop. I might have to try it after seeing these. Really well done. This has been a very interesting process and I can't wait to see the rest!

Lisa B. said...

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for sharing your work in progress, it's very interesting to see how an artist problem solves, and how the piece developes over time. Also, I just watched your latest video, I'm glad you started these, and I really like your style!

Lisa B.