Monday, November 07, 2011

a work in progress



Have you noticed that I've been trying some new things around here? (Rearranging the furniture, so to speak?) I've been working to make this space more organized, more comfortable, just a nicer place for you (and for me) to visit. I have been spending more and more time here, so it is only natural. Any place is more fun to visit when things are a little bit better organized and are a bit more spruced up, anyway.

I've also been collecting my thoughts, experiences, some of my objectives, writing them out and putting them in some of the links to the right sidebar at the top, under my photo. I'm hoping that helps you to get to know me better and to understand my goals more clearly. I've also added information about how I run this blog and what my blogging intentions are. This is a first for me—I've never written those things out for public consumption, so bear with me. It is a work in progress (like everything in life). Ultimately, I want you to really enjoy your time with me here and I am committed to that. In fact, I am so happy that you choose to spend time on my blog—honestly, it is an honor! So, with that, I'm vaccuming up, laying out a nice tablecloth and pouring you a cup of tea and I will explain the catalysts of the evolution here...

I had a couple of "a-ha" moments over the past three months or so...

In August, I went to see Holly Becker of Decor8 blog at her Boston book signing event for Decorate. Holly runs an e-course called Blogging Your Way (BYW), which I had learned about last year and, at the time, was very curious about. But I sat on that interest, and did not partake in the class during that session. Instead, I took a wait-and-see approach. I figured there would eventually be another session. Then I started thinking I may not have another chance, and I wished I'd jumped on the first opportunity.

Life went on as it does, and I waited for another BYW session sign-up period, but I wasn't holding my breath. (Let's face it, Holly's a busy lady.) Then out of the blue one day, my friend Monica Lee (a BYW alum herself), invited me to attend the August 2011 Decorate book-signing event and private mood board seminar! Wow—I jumped at the chance to attend!

Though I knew it would be a fun, networking, "talking shop" day, I received deeper value from the day then I had originally anticipated I would. I had some helpful interactions in which I gained insights into what I WAS doing, but just as importantly, what I WAS NOT doing, to assist me in helping me to reach my goals. Immediately, I decided to switch things up a bit. In some ways, I took my own power back that day.

 The next session of BYW began about five, six weeks or so after that Decorate day. I signed up for the class IMMEDIATELY. Whiplash, but I was not going to let that opportunity pass me by again! Today marks the last official day of my BYW class— the bittersweet "bon voyage" to the official class sessions. It's been a very intensive month, and it's been an amazing period or introspection and growth. BYW is so much more than just an e-course on blogging. The class is full of very deep content. I totally expected the class to be comprehensive, but it has completely blown my expectations out of the water.

So, that's the story of my bloggy changes. Maybe more than you bargained for, but hey, I'm *nothing* if not thorough! Though I've made some changes around here, I am a work in progress, like everything, and if we aren't evolving, we are, simply put, stagnating. (No thanks to that!)

I'd love to hear what YOU are working on, with YOUR work and life. What are you doing right now to help you grow while also reaching your goals?

4 comments:

Andi Butler said...

I'm really enjoying your new stuff Kathy and so happy you're sharing your journey with all of us! Keep going going going!

a : )

Kathy Weller said...

Thanks Andi! :) :)

Nina Crittenden said...

Oh, I love all the scrolling ribbons! Looking forward to your blog renaissance, Kathy. Inspiration is always a good thing. have fun with it! :)

Kathy Weller said...

Thanks so much Nina! I always love to see your comments. Aren't the ribbons fun? (I don't know if they're still in a neat scroll though! LOL!)