Thursday, January 03, 2013

A Sweet New Years' Eve



This new years' eve, Matt and I visited our friends that we spend almost every New Years' Eve with. We walked in, and look at what greeted us! We marveled over these picture-perfect cookies that our friend Steph made. This picture, I promise, does not do justice to these cookies. They were, in reality, prettier than cookies in a magazine photo shoot... and the TASTE! Amazing!! I am not a shortbread girl but I was willing to give them a try. (I simply don't pass up an opportunity to try Steph's desserts! She is a great dessert baker!) Well, I did try, and they were fabulous! 

It turns out they weren't even shortbread (although, if they were,  I'm sure they would be the only shortbread in the world I'd love). They were Linzer cookies, which is a type of cookie that sometimes uses a nut flour in the mix. Well these were cinnamon-y, had a great texture, and were really awesome. (Yes, she even made the filling too.)


So, if you, like me, don't like shortbread, don't ever mistake a linzer cookie for a shortbread coookie when someone's passing a plate of them. I can't promise they'll be as delicious as these, but they will probably be pretty good. (Plus, Linzer cookies are cut in cute shapes, a dusting of powdered sugar, and have little cut-out windows to show off the pretty jammy filling. What is not to love!)




I also played with stickers more than I have in a long time. I love to visit my good friend Solveig and I got to collaborate with her and a couple of her lovely and fabulously talented friends on a few sticker-and-crayon multi-media masterpieces. I only wish I looked up enough to snap more photos...

But enough about that—how COOL is this gigantic sticker book? (Sweets & Treats Sticker Pad by Melissa and Doug. If you have a 4-5 yr old to hang out with for awhile, I highly recommend it- it's super fun! )

No comments: