Tuesday, February 12, 2013

WIVNTMY: Monster Riot


© Monster Riot
I'm so very excited to introduce to you today: Monster Riot! Jason and Catherine's work is a study in opposites: it's minimalist, yes, but thoughtfully so, and without losing a wisp of whimsicality or humor. It's also retro-modern— and while so much work you see these days is inspired in some way by mid-century culture,  Monster Riot's work is indeed it's own— fresh, unique, and imaginative!

Please for a minute seek out and appreciate the quiet yet intense level of attention to detail that is apparent in the crafting of these illustrations. If you are a detail nut like me, this art can't help but win your heart on detail. Just seek and you will find it, again and again.
Another thing I have to call out in the illustrations is the limited palette. Just gorgeous, sophisticated, thoughtfully curated colors. This is how you do minimalist!


I adore their funny, smart work and sharp, modern style. I hope you do, too.


© Monster Riot
Can you tell us of a favorite creative activity you enjoyed as a child? 

Jason: From as far back as I can remember, I think it was probably coming up with little stories that involved me and my little brother (I was always the hero of course). I'd write these adventures down and then illustrate key parts using my favourite Crayola colouring pencils.

Catherine: Playing with my Magic Drawing Board for hours on end (was fun at the time!).
© Monster Riot
What was your first job or position as a creative professional?

Jason: After graduating in 2006 I was torn between animation and live action film. Neither of those really worked out for me so I found myself looking at different creative careers. Eventually I ended up as a Flash animator at an advertising company in London. This led to becoming experienced in graphic and digital design which I think has helped me become a better illustrator. 

Cat: My first creative job was an art assistant for a children's nursery but now I'm a Creative assistant for an events company whilst working on my own projects in my spare time.
© Monster Riot
What is your current favorite medium to work in?

Jason: You can't beat a pencil and paper (and then Photoshop to make it pretty).

Cat: Hard to choose but currently experimenting with indian and acrylic ink.

© Monster Riot
Whistle while you work: Do you enjoy working in silence, listening to music, a podcast, or a movie? Please share!

Jason: I tend to like silence when I'm writing, drawing and coming up with ideas. I'll only listen to music if I'm doing bits in Photoshop as it helps me work faster! 

Cat: I like to listen to music playing out loud (with both of us singing along badly) but will resort to listening on headphones when Jason wants quiet time!
© Monster Riot

Now how 'bout these little stuffed creatures? (You know how I love my stuffed animals.)
I don't think there's anything sweeter than the little stuffed legs on the pink birdy.
© Monster Riot

© Monster Riot

© Monster Riot




Visit Monster Riot!









Monster Riot

2 comments:

Megan said...

Awesome interview :) I especially love the elephants and the top!!

Kathy Weller said...

Megan! I love them too! Aren't they great? And the colors are sublime. Those particular shades of blue and pink... Love them :)