Friday, May 17, 2013

Mystery solved.

Whew, what a week! More twists and turns than a rollercoaster ride. (Not the kiddie one that looks like a choo-choo train. The scary ride with hairpin turns and people wearing creepy masks jumping out to scare you.)

Earlier this week, I told you about my post-surgery complication and the accompanying drama/mystery. Brief replay: I went in to see Doctor on Monday morning complaining of the pain and tenderness around my belly button. I did not get to see my surgeon but I saw another doctor in the same practice. She said the pain and inflammation was likely due to an irritated suture and/or scar tissue; that there could be an infection brewing, but she was erring on the conservative side. She was really on the fence about that, doing the wait-and-see. And antibiotics are not to be given willy-nilly, and I am totally on board with that. I was very much willing to listen and to follow her directive for a day or two, watching for improvement. BUT... in all honestly, I still thought it was a hernia. And nothing else was even on my radar, for that matter. My next appointment would be the regular post-op appointment scheduled for three days later (Thursday) with my surgeon.

I only lasted a day before I called back. I was in unbearable pain and not improving at all. I felt like the subject of one of those Mystery Diseases shows: helpless, no answers, and in the meantime just getting worse and worse. Bacterial infection was then strongly suspected at that point, and I immediately began a round of strong antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. Since mine is a below-the-skin infection (it's called Cellulitis), it is sometimes not visibly noticeable in the beginning. But you can sure feel it. From day one, it hurts... and then the pain quickly escalates and becomes unrelenting and hideous. I dealt with it at full blaze for a few days before treatment began. Man, I never knew an infection could hurt so bad! 

Tuesday evening was my first dose. I had a lot of faith and hope that the medications would be effective. it was all I had to hold on to; I was so desperate. Wednesday was pretty much the same but not worse. But by Thursday, I was noticing improvements! They were modest improvements, but hey, improvement is improvement. It is not a minor infection and I have to understand it is not going to clear up overnight. Any questions or conerns, I knew I could hash out later with my Doctor. 

Today is Friday, and that is where I am right now. Improving. Slowly, BUT, it IS happening. I am thrilled that I am now FINALLY on the road to recovery. i am not 100% out of the woods so to speak-I have not jumped that hurdle yet - but I am extremely optimistic. Now's the time to be extra-careful too. NO SETBACKS. I am so grateful I am finally getting better and I can't wait to get back to my regular everyday.


Sharyn Sowell said...

Whew. Hope total recovery is just days away. Be gentle with yourself!

Rebecca Collins said...

Wow. Take it easy girl and get the rest you need to heal.

Kathy Weller said...

Sharyn & Beccs- THANKS. It's crazy, isn't it. I'm resting and taking care of myself. I promise! I want this thing GONE!

JD said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.