Monday, October 14, 2013

Make Art That Sells Part A Week One



This month, I am taking Lilla Rogers' Make Art That Sells e-course. When I heard the class was being offered for the second time, I had a gut feeling that I just HAD to take this course, no matter WHAT, and regardless of the business angle. From a personal standpoint of being a commercial artist who needs to continuously grow and step outside my comfort zone, I knew it was WHAT I needed. It was just a matter of WHEN.

The first time the class was offered back in June, I was very deep in personal stuff: our six-month-long home renovation was coming to a close and our move was imminent, PLUS, I was recovering from a surgery. NOT the best timing. But then, in August, it was announced that the class would be running again in October. Zing! I knew that THIS time, I simply HAD to find a way to make it happen. If I did not seize the opportunity NOW, I figured it would be at least an entire year until I could take it again, and that's before factoring in WHEN it would even be offered again. I thought, "a LOT can happen in a year. A year is a LONG time to wait... and I CAN'T wait. My future growth is waiting for me!" Well, the stars seem to have agreed with me on that because I actually won the pre-class giveaway, awarded to one student who social media'ed about the class. Hey, I won my course fee back! This was definitely a gut-check gone right. The universe was giving me a big, giant pat on the back for taking the leap.

Here is some of the work I've been doing from the first week.

You know what? I never drew Pyrex before this. It was really fun. I was kinda surprised I'd never drawn Pyrex before. I am definitely getting the sense that I'm going to have surprises like this during every single week of the MATS class. :D And I am so, so excited about it. And ready for it.



Ta-Da!




Really want to show you the details...



...of course...




I'd love to hear what you think.



I hope to post more about the MATS class! Right now I'm taking it one day at a time though. :D And I am glad to be doing that. I'm putting learning and creative experimentation first right now, and it feels so good.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I Luv it! Absolutely fabulous Kathy! Not that you were not already fabulous!:D How crazy cool is it that you won the class! You Rock!

Hope you are doing well and getting back to yourself! Cheers! Carmen b.

Mihaela said...

Wow, this is great. I was just wondering what kind of media do you use (for the colours) or is this done with a computer programme?

Lauren said...

Great work! I took the first round of Part A and am now on Part B of Lilla's class. SUCH A GREAT EXPERIENCE! Have fun!

Unknown said...

Hi Michaela! Thanks so much! I use Photoshop to paint in! :)

Unknown said...

Thank you Carmen!!! It's so good to hear from you! I hope you are doing well!! :)

Unknown said...

Lauren Thanks so much! It's pretty great and I am stepping outside my comfort zone in the best way. Loving it! :D thank you!